As the oldest and largest regional campus of Indiana University, IU South Bend’s mission is focused on regional impact, partnership, and transformation. IU South Bend acknowledges and honors the Indigenous communities native to this region, and recognizes that the campus was built on the homelands and resources of the Potawatomi, Peoria, Myaamia, Kickapoo, Kaskaskia, Mascouten and Meskwaki people: the past, present, and future caretakers of this land.
IU South Bend’s history is a mix of tradition and innovation. In 1916 Indiana University began teaching classes in South Bend at Central High School located downtown. In 1961, IU South Bend moved to its current campus location situated on 80 acres along the St. Joseph River in the River Park neighborhood. In 1967, IU South Bend conferred its first degrees. Since then, campus has grown to approximately 4,500 students, offering nearly 100 degree programs, eight varsity sports playing in the Chicagoland Conference of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA), campus housing, and more than 230 full-time faculty members. Graduates earn an Indiana University degree, which is respected worldwide.
Indiana University South Bend is this area’s premier comprehensive public university dedicated to serving the needs of North Central Indiana and beyond. As a regional campus of Indiana University, IU South Bend provides a diverse population the opportunity to affordably earn a prestigious IU degree through its quality graduate and undergraduate programs. With its caring faculty and staff, IU South Bend is committed to an inclusive, student-centered approach that focuses on preparing its students for both the workforce and postgraduate education through rigorous coursework, research, and creative activity. We are a catalyst for social mobility that contributes to the vitality of our region by educating informed individuals, thoughtful stewards, innovative professionals, and responsible leaders.