How to Get Started

How to get started

At Indiana University South Bend, the Office of Veteran Student Services is committed to providing our military students and families with personal support and assistance for both VA educational benefits and the college experience.

Whether you are a new college student or transferring from another IU campus or University, we are here to assist you with any questions or concerns that you may have.

  • Applying to Indiana University South Bend is the first step.
  • Please see the Office of Admissions to learn more about how you can apply today!
  • Upon acceptance to IU South Bend, a welcome packet will be provided that includes how to set up your student user account.
  • If you have any questions and/or concerns regarding user account set-up, please stop by the Office of Veteran Student Services located in the Administration Building, room 101.
  • For all non-military steps, please follow the steps in the checklist

  • The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), is a form that determines your eligibility for student loans as well as grants at the federal and state level.
  • Completing the FAFSA will ensure that you receive the maximum financial aid, even if you plan on using your VA education benefits.
  • You should complete the FAFSA before March 10th of each year in order to be considered for the maximum amount of financial aid.

  • Visit the official GI Bill® website to go through a step-by-step process to get an idea of what benefits work best for you. If you have any questions, please contact us and we will guide you through the process.
  • Please note that the VA will determine your eligibility based on the information you provide during the application process; our office does not determine your chapter and eligibility rating.
    • To apply for benefits electronically, you can use eBenefits.
    • The Office of Veteran Student Services has a Common Access Card (CAC) reader.
    • Once you are ready to apply for benefits and have your VONAPP account, please complete one of the following forms:
      • VA Form 22-1990:
        • Initial Application for Education Benefits for military members or veterans:
          • Chapter 33: Post-9/11 GI Bill
          • Chapter 32: Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)
          • Chapter 30: Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (MGIB-AD)
          • Chapter 1607: Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)
          • Chapter 1606: Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR)
      • VA Form 22-1995:
        • Change in Program/Place of Training; for those who have used the GI Bill at another institution
      • VA Form 22-1990e:
        • For dependents to whom the Chapter 33: Post 9/11 GI Bill eligibility has been transferred
      • VA Form 22-5490:
        • For children of disabled veterans applying initially for Chapter 35: Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (DEA)
      • VA Form 22-5495:
        • Dependents' Request for Change of Program or Place of Training
        • (Under provisions of Chapters 33 and 35, Title 38, U.S.C.)
    • After applying for benefits, the VA will send you a Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) via U.S. mail which will detail your VA education benefit eligibility.
    • If you are eligible for Chapter 33: Post-9/11 GI Bill, you will also have a benefit percentage rating listed.
    • Depending on your GI Bill chapter eligibility, some require you to verify your attendance on a monthly basis. Please note that the Office of Veterans Student Services cannot verify your attendance with the VA; you will need to verify your attendance directly with the VA.

  • Most importantly, you must visit the Office of Veteran Student Services (located in the Administration Building (AI), room 101 to complete registration in-processing for using your VA education benefits at Indiana University South Bend.
    • Please bring the following items:
      • Letter of Acceptance from the Indiana University South Bend Office of Admissions
      • Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) / Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE)
      • DD Form 214

Please note: GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at

Ready to get started?

Indiana University South Bend

1700 Mishawaka Ave
South Bend, IN 46615
Phone: 574-520-4872