IU South Bend students selected for AHEC Scholars Program
Three Indiana University South Bend students have been selected for the 2023-2025 Indiana Area Health Education Center (AHEC) Scholars Program.
Nursing students Layahnna Bond, Brooklynn Ciesiolka and Gage Ratkay will take part in the two-year program. It’s designed for students who have a drive to provide care in rural and medically underserved communities in Indiana.
Bond, Ciesiolka and Ratkay will complete online learning modules and take part in field experiences that emphasize eight core topics:
- Behavioral Health Integration
- Cultural Competency & Humility
- Interprofessional Practice
- Practice Transformation
- Social Determinants of Health
- Connecting Communities and Supporting Health Professionals
- Virtual Learning and Telehealth
- Current/Emerging Issues (such as COVID-19, Opioid Epidemic, and Maternal-Child Health)
The students will receive a stipend of $1,800 over the two years.
Indiana AHEC Network works to enhance access to quality health care by improving the supply of health care professionals through community and academic educational partnerships.
IU 2030: Student Success and Opportunity
IU South Bend will ensure the long-term success of all students – undergraduates, graduates, professional students, and online and lifelong learners – by providing the highest quality of education through a rich and engaging environment.